"It takes an army to win a battle," and our battle is against MPS in animals.
At MPS Army Foundation we treat our dear furry friends with great love and devotion. With your ongoing support we can continue to work with breeders to eradicate the MPS-VI gene from dogs, and provide a better life for those currently living with the disorder.
MPS Army is proud to support Dogs, Cats and any other animals that may be discovered with MPS in the future.
What is mps?
MPS-VI (aka Mucopolysaccharidosis Type 6) is an inherited disorder that does not allow sugar molecules to break down in the system. This affects multiple organs including the lungs, heart and skeleton. Symptoms can be mild, severe and life threatening or anything in between. In people and animals with MPS, glucose (sugar) molecules in cells cannot be broken down and removed by the body. Over time, this degenerative disorder is fatal.
Puppies born afflicted with MPS-VI rarely survive past the age of 2, and those who survive that long have a range of medical issues.
The Mission of the MPS Army is to eradicate MPS-VI in dogs through Awareness, Education and DNA Testing, as well as, to provide support for those dogs affected by MPS-VI.
What makes us different makes us beautiful!
1. assist with medical bills for the dogs found to have MPS-VI
2. provide funding for breeders to have their dogs tested for MPS-VI
3. send an MPS ARMY certification for the tested dogs that have been found to be free of the MPS-VI gene
4. provide an “out” for people whose dogs have been found to have MPS-VI who no longer wish to provide care for that dog
5. provide an adoption list for people wanting to adopt and care for an MPS-VI dog
6. raise funds for medical research for dogs with MPS-VI.
7. provide educational materials to breeders and parents of dogs with MPS-VI.
8. provide post mortem assistance to families of dogs with MPS-VI